A brief summary for future reference...
- Dublin/Dalkey with Coral/Colin/Marie/Gareth.
- Wicklow Way.
- Glendalough with Keith/Lyndy/Joseph.
- McDonough family gathering at Pam & Maurice's in Wicklow.
- Chris & Holly to Oxford (via Birmingham), staying with Mike/Milly/Farrah. Andy stays on in Dublin for 2 more days.
- Oxford exploration (in torrential rain, Holly in a fake raincoat), including the Pitt Rivers Museum and the Headington Shark.
- Family reunited in London, staying with Lou & James in Greenwich. Andy & Lou see Depeche Mode at the O2.
- Explore Greenwich day (with Lou/James/Suzanne), visiting the Painted Hall at the Old Royal Naval College, and the Royal Observatory. Joined for lunch by Mark in the Greenwich Market.
- Gathered at Paul & Caroline's new apartment for preprandials before heading out to dinner at Canteen 📷.
- Eurostar to Paris. 🌐Staying near the Eiffel Tower.
- Musée d'Orsay to find the polar bear.
- The Tuileries gardens and Carrousel.
- Musée Français de la Carte à Jouer (Playing Card Museum).
- Walked along Avenue des Champs-Élysées to Maxim’s Art Nouveau "Collection 1900" Museum. Recommendation for future visit: Musée Nissim de Camondo.
- Andy & Holly visited Les Arts Décoratifs (Museum of Decorative Arts).
- Montmartre Cemetery to find grave of Leon Foucault.
- Musée de la Magie (Museum of Magic). Met kiwi-phile magician who gave us a poster.
- Picnic dinner under La Tour Eiffel.
- Musée de la Franc-Maçonnerie (Museum of Freemasonry).
- Musée des Arts et Métiers (Museum of Arts and Crafts).
- Walked along Canal Saint-Martin from République to Cité des sciences (City of Science and Industry) and the Argonaute Submarine.
- Whilst it's hard to beat the gear at Decathlon for shear value, my favourite shop for outdoor clothing would have to be Ken Claude (55 Rue de Turenne 75003).
- Train to Amboise. Met by Bob. 🌐Staying in the shadow of the Château.
- Villandry château and gardens in the rain. Lunched at L'Etape Gourmande.
- Visited the town of Blois. Chris & Holly visited the Maison de la Magie (the House of Magic) whilst Andy & Bob visited Royal Château of Blois. We reunited for a picnic lunch and a stroll around the old town.
- A fine diner at La Fourchette, tucked away in the back streets of Amboise.
- Chris to Château du Clos Lucé, rest to Château du Rivau.
- Train to Geneva, via Paris. Met by Dave. 🌐Staying to the west of the centre of town.
- Chris & Dave walked along the banks of L'Arve, crossed into France and, after a few false starts, caught the cable-car up the Salève. Descended on foot and caught the bus back to Geneva. Meanwhile Andy & Holly caught up with Pete at his house in Commugny, halfway between Geneva and Nyon. Us & Dave dined at a nearby pizza restaurant.
- Chris & Dave cycled (on free, electrically-assisted bikes) to the Jura Mountains. Gruelling hike, with too little water, up the Télécabine de Crozet, returning via a walking/cycle track that we'd missed spotting on the ascent. Mad-dash cycle back to Geneva in order to get bikes back before 7pm deadline. Andy & Holly's day centred around a traumatic - but ultimately successful - outing to find Gelateria Arlecchino.
- DIY Lake Geneva boat cruise on the Mouettes Genevoises commuter boats. Picnic and ice-creams in Parc Moynier.
- Chris gets personal tour of LHC/CERN courtesy of Ray, a friend of Pete's, and the head of the Mechanics and Logistics Section of the Beam Instrumentation Group at CERN.
- Chris purchases Victorinox Swiss Army knife.
- Train to Paris and 2-hour, last-minute-dash around shops before heading out to CDG.
- Home in time to experience the tail end of the June 2013 storm.
Photos on Flickr: May, 2013 + June, 2013.
¤ Copyright 1999-2018 Chris Molloy ¤ All rights reserved ¤